tungkol sa nagsusulat

Guro ng Filipino. Adik sa pagsasaliksik. Di raw nakakausap kapag naggigitara. Naniniwala sa mahika at grasya dahil sa mga nangyayari sa kaniyang klase at kusina.

Saturday, February 8, 2020

SCAFFOLDING a SPEAKING TASK

We had an extra session so I had time to help my students prepare for their next speaking task.
Guests are coming to evaluate your performance since it is almost the end of the school year.
So to scaffold their task, here's what we did.

1) PRE-WORK
They had already made a longer essay on what they were supposed to share for 2 minutes.
They interviewed someone who had a different background from themselves, they researched on the sector of society this person represented, then they were supposed to draw a unique insight from the first two items.

2) DEMONSTRATION
I asked someone to time me and I delivered my own version of their task.

3) CRITIQUE
What were the parts of my sharing?
How could I have made it more effective?

4) PAIR WORK

I asked them to pair up.
I asked them to name one classmate B1 and the other B2.

a) B1 delivered his sharing. I gave him exactly 2 mins.

b) B2 gives B1 advice using the Guide Questions I gave:
    > Is the person described in a way that makes him/her real to the audience?
    > Is the information/trivia given about the sector he/she belongs to relevant and surprising?
    > Is the insight unique/extraordinary? Does it show depth of thought?

c) B1 does a "take 2" based on B1's advice. 2 mins.

d) The process is repeated for B2.

I noticed the process was more effective if the paired classmates were not too familiar with each other. Those who were too familiar tended to stray from the task.

5) DRY RUN.

I asked for volunteers to recite their piece.
This time, I was the one to give them advice.
No grade yet.

6) ACTUAL SPEAKING TASK.

I'm excited to see how this helped them and what my guest teacher has to say.

Now the question is: what if I didn't have extra time?
Shouldn't this process be part of their classwork at least at the start of the school year?
Then again, who has the time and inclination to pair up with someone informally?

I know that TED speakers have a coaching session for their life-changing talk.
And these are the best speakers in the world.
So why not students, for their speaking tasks?


No comments:

Post a Comment